Posts Tagged ‘soccer’

Coca-Cola and McDonalds Call for Blatter to Step Down

Image: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1uW3lwNZas

Coco-Cola has issued a statement calling upon Sepp Blatter to stand down as the FIFA president.

The shock statement was soon echoed by fast food giant McDonalds.

Sepp Blatter has been under criminal investigation by Swiss authorities for a week now. Coca-Cola and McDonalds are concerned their brands may be tarnished by association.

Coca-Cola released the statement “calling for FIFA President Joseph Blatter to step down immediately so that a credible and sustainable reform process can begin in earnest.

“Every day that passes the image and reputation of FIFA continues to tarnish. FIFA needs comprehensive and urgent reform, and that can only be accomplished through a truly independent approach.”

McDonalds chimed in shortly after releasing its own mdeaia statement:
The events of recent weeks have continued to diminish the reputation of FIFA and public confidence in its leadership.

“We (McDonalds) believe it would be in the best interest of the game for FIFA president sepp Blatter to step down immediately so that the reform process can proceed with the credibility that is needed.”

Talking lawyers is one thing Sepp Blatter has been able to control for some time now. But when huge amounts of sponsorship dollars are calling for your head it’s an entirely different game.

But the FIFA president gave his typical response through his lawyers:

“While Coca-Cola is a valued sponsor of FIFA, Mr Blatter respectfully disagrees with tis position and believes firmly that his leaving office now would not be in the best interest of FIFA, nor would it advance the process of reform and therefore, he will not resign,” said Blatter’s New York attorney Richard Cullen in a statement.

Criminal Proceedings Against Sepp Blatter

Image: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1uW3lwNZas

Swiss investigators have begun criminal proceedings against Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini by searching the former FIFA president’s office while quizzing his UEFA counterpart, Platini.

At the heart of their search is an answer to the legality of a two million dollar payment from Blatter to the French football legend.

“Swiss criminal proceedings against the President of FIFA, Mr. Joseph Blatter, have been opened on September 24, 2015 on suspicion of criminal mismanagement … and – alternatively – misappropriation,” said a statement from the OGA, Switzerland’s Lawyer General’s Office.

Blatter (now 79) is in the process of handing over the reins of the world football governing body amid accusations of corruption.

The Swiss prosecutor said data had been seized and the FIFA President questioned. He is considered a ‘suspect’; while Platini is considered ‘a person called upon to give information’.

Platini, now 60, is the automatic FIFA vice-president as he has been head of UEFA since January 2007.

Blatter was said, by his lawyer Richard Cullen, to be cooperating with the Swiss authorities and that he was confident a review of the evidence would yield ‘no mismanagement occurred.’

The alleged $2.0 million franc ($2.9 million) is thought to have been made in February of 2011 ‘for work performed between January 1999 and June 2002’.

Michael Platini Image: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michel_Platini

Michael Platini Image: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michel_Platini

On Friday Platini said the money had been for ‘contractual’ work.

“Concerning the payment that was made to me, I wish to state that this amount relates to work which I carried out under a contract with FIFA,

“I was pleased to have been able to clarify all matters relating to this with the authorities. I also made clear to the Swiss authorities that since I live in Switzerland I am available to speak with them any time to clarify any matters relating to the investigations.”

Blatter is under investigation by US authorities for links with former FIFA vice-resident Jack warner.

It is being alleged that Warner used the Caribbean Football Union as a power base to which Blatter was suspected of contributing.

But Blatter’s lawyer, Cullen, said the contract was ‘properly prepared and negotiated’ by all FIFA staff required for such matters..

Warner is just one of 14 soccer officials and business executives expected to face US prosecutors. It will be alleged they were involved in more than US$150 million in bribes for broadcasting rights and marketing deals.

Beauty Queen a Nazi Sympathiser

Image: https://twitter.com/toketheilade

Russian beauty queen Olga Kuzkova has been stripped of her Miss Russia Premier League beauty title after pictures of her supporting Nazism surfaced on social media.

The competition consists of each of Russia’s 16 football teams selecting a beauty to represent them. Ms Kizkova took out the title of Miss Charming.

Image: https://twitter.com/toketheilade

Image: https://twitter.com/toketheilade

But controversy erupted soon after when pictures of Kuzkova, dressed in a maid’s outfit with a swastika armband and a message supporting the incineration of Jews, surfaced on Vkontakte, a Russian social media platform.

The Moscow Times reported, “In one picture, Kuzkova gazes into the camera, her right hand extended in a Nazi salute as she stands in front of a wall bearing Nazi graffiti.

“Anbother features two photos spliced together. The first shows a Cadbury bubbly bar (a popular candy bar made up of oddly sized chocolate sphere. The second shows a group of small African children, clad in dirty clothing, posing for a group shot in what appeared to be a remote village. The insinuation is that the children and the chocolate bar looks alike. Kuzkova wrote: ‘I love chocolate, but after this image I developed an … aversion.’

Image: https://twitter.com/toketheilade

Image: https://twitter.com/toketheilade

Kzukova’s boyfriend is shown with the numbers “14/88” tattooed on his legs – a code for ‘Heil Hitler’. The photograph of the couple has the words ‘White Love’ written beneath it.

CSKA fans created a Facebook page to pressure the organisers to strip Kuzkova of her title.

The Russian Premier league duly did so. The Executive director of the league, Sergei Cheban, said to the Russian newspaper Sport Express: “We do not tolerate manifestations of fascism, nationalism, and racism.

“It is unfortunate that it happened. However I beg (everyone) to understand the situation.”

He said Kuzkova was willing to give up her title. Doing so, she realised would limit the potential damage to the CSKA.

CKTjtHoUYAA4tRQ

Kody ‘The Power’ House Set to Debut Against NSW

In pads image: twitter.com

Kody ‘The Power’ House is hanging up her lingerie league gear and stepping in to play in the Queensland Women’s Rugby League team.

House played in the Australian version of the Lingerie Football League and believes the change of codes will do her good.

House makes her debut for Queensland against perennial foe New South Wales. The Queenslanders have 17 straight interstate victories, but find themselves going into this game as underdogs.

The side has been decimated by injuries, including the loss of star Ali Briggenshaw, and will field 9 debutants!

House is a qualified diesel mechanic from Central Queensland. She is a big, powerful woman who has earned her nickname and the respect that comes with it.

At 80kg of cut muscle House will line up in the centres. She says she is a direct ball runner, preferring to steamroll through tacklers rather than sidestep them.

And she is an athlete.

House began her sporting career as a star soccer player. She made the top grade in Brisbane before switching to sevens rugby union, where she played for Queensland.

FHouse then code-hopped to AFL; then moved again to American football and the Lingerie Football League.

She has the glam and she has the wham.

The game kicks-off at 1300 Smiles Stadium (home of the NRL Cowboys) at 2:45pm this Saturday.

Fans are promised lots of action, lots of hits, and plenty of skill as this fierce rivalry continues.

Kody Power image: www.youtube.com

Kody Power image: www.youtube.com

Matildas Upset Brazil in World Cup!

Caitlin foord image: commons.wikimedia.org

The Matildas have stunned the soccer world beating favourites Brazil to move through to the quarterfinals in the World Cup.

The Matildas scored the only goal in the game soaking up 90 minutes of relentless pressure from their more fancied rivals.

And hasn’t the media gone into overdrive.

Greg Howard from Deadspin wrote: “Holy shit. Holy shit! Brazil are out of the World Cup! Australia is through to the quarterfinals! It wasn’t supposed to go down like this. Brazil finished first in their group, while Australia finished second in the Group of Death.

“There have been a lot of upsets this World Cup, but this is the biggest one of the knockout stages, and it’s also the biggest win in Australia’s history. Brazil looked all tournament long to be one of the best sides, but of course, that doesn’t matter now.”

The Brazilians were on the attack from the opening whistle. And while the Australians never looked comfortable against Brazil, neither did they  look out of their depth..

Midfielder Caitlin Foord came in for special praise for effectively shutting down Brazilian super star, Marta.

“The five-time FIFA World Player of the Year, Marta, was largely kept in check by the Australian defense on Sunday,” wrote NBCSport’s Jeff Kassouf., “thanks in large part to speedy 20-year-old defender Caitlin Foord, playing in her second World Cup.”

It was a gutsy win by a team who wanted it more. Well done to all the girls.

Soccer player dies in bizarre post-goal celebration

Backflip image: www.newspunch.org

Backflip image: www.newspunch.org

In a bizarre incident a young footballer has been killed after injuring his spine in a post-goal celebration.

Peter Biaksangzuala, 23 was performing a series of somersaults after kicking home an important equaliser. The local crowd of Khawzawl (a town near to India’s eastern border with Myanmar) went into raptures at the goal.

But Biaksangzuala missed a flip and landed on his head. As he lay on the ground his team mates jumped on top of him.

It soon became apparent the prostrate Biaksangzuala wasn’t moving and something untoward had happened. The players were peeled off him and a stretcher was called.

Biaksangzula was rushed to hospital. Doctors attempted to repair the damage done to his spine. But the young soccer star’s condition deteriorated and he died on Sunday.

While there is a long history of soccer players injuring themselves in post-goal celebrations, this is the first recorded death.

Image: www.smh.com.au

Image: www.smh.com.au

Sierra Leone Football Team Spurned by Fans

The Sierra Leone football team is suffering from the stigma associated with the outbreak of the deadly Ebola virus in their home country.

In August of this year the team were banned from playing home matches – effectively exiling the team. Since that time the Leone Stars have played all their games in other countries as they battle to qualify for the 2015 African Cup of Nations.

Unfortunately the team have had to put up with “Ebola” being chanted by hostile fans in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Cameroon. They have also received similar treatment while training in host nations.

The Sierra Leone team were insulted when Seychelles forfeited a match against them. The forfeit came only shorty before the match was due to start and no reason was given.

According to a report in the Times newspaper Sierra Leone players have their temperatures taken each morning and night – Even though none of them have set foot in their own country since July.

Sierra Leone Football team. Image: www.thisissierraleone.com

Sierra Leone Football team. Image: www.thisissierraleone.com

The constant innuendo is taking its toll. Sierra Leone forward Kei Kamara told reporters, ”We’re treated like we’re walking around with the disease.”

Michael Lahoud (Midfielder) admitted lying when asked about where he was from, telling a stranger who asked that he was an American basketball player.

“We felt it was for our protection, Lahoud told reporters.

Defender Abdul Bangura agreed, “they think all of us have Ebola.”

The Ebola virus has swept through Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone in recent months, killing more than 4000 people. The West African health system has been unable to contain the virulent and deadly disease.

UK Woman Fooled Into Relationship with Fake Footballer

Josie

Josie Cunningham. Photo: www.24tanzania.net

Headline chaser Josie Cunningham has taken to Twitter to tell the world she that she has been duped by a man pretending to be a premier league footballer.

Ms. Cunningham sparked national outrage in the UK after manipulating the National Health Service into paying for $10,000 worth of cosmetic surgery.

But now, it seems, the table have been turned.

Last April, Cunningham, 24, met a man claiming to be Hull City Captain Curtis Davies. They met in a Leicester hotel and a romance began.

Cunningham asked the man for photos, which he sent her. She looked for copies of these photos on the internet, but was unable to find any matches. The photos she did find, however, seemed remarkably similar to the ones she had been sent.

She said her ‘boyfriend’ was absent often. She believed he was training or travelling to games.

Cunningham is now in hospital about to give birth to the couple’s child. She has taken to Twitter to tell the world she was “physically fooled” by a man whom she claims is a dead-ringer for Davies. She claims she is outraged, heartbroken, and devastated; she feels dirty and used by the entire experience.

The actual Curtis Davies wants nothing to do with the entire sordid affair. When asked for his opinion by reporters Davies refused to comment.

Qatar World Cup Receives Another Blow

Overnight Qatar World Cup officials received another blow. Theo Zwanziger, a German member of FIFA  the sport’s world governing body, said in an interview with Sport Bild Plus: “I think that at the end of the day the 2022 World Cup will not take place in Qatar.”

Zwanziger’s comments come after medical officials refused to clear the stadium to host fans in the scorching summer heat. Temperatures can reach dangerous 45 degrees centigrade.

“Doctors say,” continued Zwanziger, “and I had insisted on this point in the protocol, that they cannot guarantee that a World Cup can be held in summer in these conditions.”

Should someone die from heat stress it is unclear what FIFA’s legal culpability might be.

Mohamed Bin Hammam. Photo: www.foxsports.com.au

Mohamed Bin Hammam. Photo: www.foxsports.com.au

Qatar officials say they have developed a cooling system able to maintain a temperature of 22 degrees Centigrade.

Even if this is true it does the problem of heat remains a factor for fans once they leave the stadium.

The Qatar bid for the World Cup was dogged by allegations of bribery. The Times newspaper in Great Britain alleged former Qatari football executive Mohamed Bin Hammam paid more than $5.6 million  to further his country’s chances of winning the Cup hosting rights.

Qatar strongly denies this.

Other reports are predicting up to 4,000 migrant workers may possibly die from the heat as they work on the stadium in the years leading up to the 2022.

The most damning indictment came from the top however. With FIFA President Sepp Blatter proclaiming in May of this year that awarding the World Cup to Qatar was a “mistake.”

But Qatari officials are desperate to keep the event.

This will be the first World Cup in any Middle Eastern country. They believe their state-of-the-art cooling system will protect sports fans, and that the event will serve to unite a region torn by politics, war and exploitation.

Soccer Sports Star Facing assault Charges.

US soccer player Hope Solo is arguably one of the greatest goalkeepers in history. She has

Hope Solo. Photo: www.businessinsider.com.au

Hope Solo. Photo: www.businessinsider.com.au

won two Olympic gold medals, played 155 internationals, and boasts the least number of on-field infractions of any top class player.

But the 33 year-old sports phenomenon has recently been making headlines for all the wrong reasons.

On September 20 she fell victim to the photo hacking scandal which saw naked pictures of herself splashed up on hosting sites throughout the world.

But this is nothing to the latest furore.

In a time when violence among sportspeople is under the most intense scrutiny Solo has been charged with assaulting two family members.

The Seattle Times recently revealed that, according to police records, Solo was at her sister’s house late in June when an argument erupted between herself and her 17 year-old nephew.

It is alleged the argument escalated to the point where Solo punched him in the face. When Solo’s sister attempted to intervene she also was assaulted.

Todd Maybrown, attorney for Solo, said it was his client who was the victim. Solo is alleging it was she who was assaulted by being hit over the head with a broom during the scuffle.

Solo’s sponsor, Nike, is sticking by the goalkeeping superstar. But the American public is not so trusting.

Domestic assaults from NFL stars Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson have thrust violence from sportsstars into the American public’s consciousness. But now, for many, the shoe is on the other foot with a female athlete accused of the same behaviour.

Will she receive the same treatment?