Tony Stewart Cleared of Murder Charges

A US grand jury decided last week not to charge three-time NASCAR champion Tony Stewart with the death of Kevin Ward Jr.

On August 9 Stewart struck and killed Ward during a race at Canandaigua Motorsports Park. Stewart faced reporters for the first time since the incident. He was flanked by his lawyer who advised him not to speak about the incident as Stewart may still face civil proceedings from Ward’s family.

Tony Stewart. Photo: news92fm.com

Tony Stewart. Photo: news92fm.com

Stewart told reporters he’d fallen ot of the four-car race team he co-owns. Since the death of Ward he hasn’t raced, nor even been able to watch the races he has missed. His team, he says, has pretty much functioned without him.

“I’ve let my team down from that standpoint,” Stewart told reporters. “I’ve been a little bit of a cheerleader, but that’s about all I’ve been able to contribute here the last seven weeks.

“It’s been hard for me to function day-to-day. There hasn’t been anything normal about my life the last seven weeks, so it’s been very hard to try to do anything to be productive to help those guys.”

Stewart said he has been receiving counselling since Ward’s death. The race at Canandaigua Motorsports Park wasn’t a big race meet, Stewart only went for the fun of racing, he didn’t need to be there that night.

He says he now regrets he was.

Responses are currently closed, but you can trackback from your own site.

Comments are closed.